Skip Navigation LinksUniversity of Cantabria > Studying at the UC > Legal registration at the Oficina de Extranjeros de Santander

Legal registration at the Oficina de Extranjeros de Santander

Register certificate for European union students

Students from the EU countries must register at the Central Registry for Foreigners (Registro Central de Extranjeros) as EU residents within three months after their arrival in Santander at the Oficina de Extranjería. It is necessary to produce an exchange student certificate issued by the University of Cantabria together with the required EX-18 form and the payment of an administrative fee. A certificate of registration as well as the NIE (Number for Foreigners Identification) is issued on the spot. [+] more info

Student Residence Authorization (Autorización de Estancia por Estudios)

Should the study period be longer than six months, the student is to apply for the 'Autorización de Estancia por Estudios' (Student Residence Authorization) within a month after arriving in Spain at the Oficina de Extranjería.

The documents required for the application are:

  • Original passport and photocopy (of both your visa and your personal data)
  • Official EX-17 form
  • Certificate of paying an administrative fee (it will be issued at the Oficina de Extranjeros)
  • Three recent passport photographs
  • A copy of your medical insurance
  • Invitation letter to the UC
  • A copy of your registration at the UC

The period of validity will be the same as the authorization of stay (visa). The passport stamp or the flight ticket is needed to prove this date. A provisional copy of the Student Residence Authorization Card as well as the NIE will be issued until the original card is due in one or two months.

Oficina de Extranjeros de Santander: contact data

Oficina de Extranjeros de Santander
C/ Vargas nº 53
Tel. 942 999 399

The IRO staff can help you with these procedures