Research in Biotechnology
Program aimed at teaching undergraduate students the basics of biotechnological research and applications. Contents include fundamentals of modern molecular biology and genome structure, genetic engineering techniques and advanced technology of genomic-level gene analysis in Biomedicine, or biotechnological procedures for animal manipulation and for production of biological molecules of industrial interest. Additionally, several leaders of IBBTEC research groups will introduce the students to the scientific method and present their research fields and teams, which will host the students for the research practice.
The first part of the program (4 weeks) includes 52 contact hours (equivalent to 5 ECTS credits) of courses and activities, covering the following topics:
- Fundamentals of Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering (12 hours)
- Biomedical techniques (12 hours)
- The information in the Human Genome (12 hours)
- Molecular Biotechnology (16 hours)
The second part of the program (additional 4 weeks) includes 80 contact hours (equivalent to 6 ECTS credits) of research practice at the Institute of Biomedicine and Biotechnology of Cantabria (IBBTEC), working on an individual research project with our faculty. Possible research projects include the following:
- "Identification and Characterizaton of a specific phospho Ser-284 site in ERK2 that regulates ERK dimerization"
- "Mutational analysis of essential residues in TrwD involved in unsaturated Fatty Acids binding"
- "Regulation of gene expression during development"
- "Microfabrication and Microfluidics"
- "Chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases"
Students will be assessed from Grade "A" (excellent) to "D" (poor) according to:
- General performance
- Achievement of learning objectives
- Active participation and attitude
Assessment will be continuous and based on student's progress as established by observation and assessment rubrics.
2016 detailed Program